A mala is used in many religious traditions to count the repetitions of prayers or devotions, and often consists of 108 beads. Choosing one is a very personal experience, and not always easy – at least it wasn’t for me, as I didn’t find the mala that ‘fit’ me until the third try.
It’s worth the search though because when you do find the right one, it becomes a physical reminder of the power of awareness.
Every year at this time I review my journals, I complete the year and make space for what’s next. This year, 2012, has been a year of challenge, opportunity and deepening; more than I thought possible.
As I reviewed, it occurred to me as a mala, 108 insights or moments of mindfulness that have had a profound impact on my life.
I share it with the hope that some of these thoughts also make a difference for you.
1. Silence is the best antidote to the busyness of life. New thoughts emerge effortlessly in this sacred space.
2. Imagine living as if wherever you are is holy ground.
3. When the muse wakes you up at 3am, pay attention.
4. Feeling hunger is a good thing. It reminds us that we’re alive.
5. Freedom from responsibility is not the solution. Choosing your responsibilities mindfully is.
6. It’s ok to want what you want. Stop making your wants wrong.
7. Get clear on your non-negotiables. It’s highly likely they’re related to your values.
8. Question everything. Believe only that which feels good.
9. You have a gift that is uniquely yours. How are you offering it?
10. That slow burn in your belly will not fade away. Nurture it.
11. Why do you want what you want? Internal or external reasons make a world of difference.
12. Suppressing your feelings has a cost. Are you willing to pay the price?
13. “There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.“ – Leonard Cohen
14. We’ve been taught to ignore our desires. What would happen if we gave in to them?
15. ”My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, I intend to end up there.” – Rumi
16. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Being good at something is just the tip of the iceberg. Go deeper.
17. A good idea isn’t good if it keeps you from getting what you really want.
18. Rumi is a balm, Hafiz a companion, silence my solace.
19. Love and acknowledge more.
20. Where do you need to say fuck it?
21. Say what there is to say.
22. Don’t wait for some official beginning. Just start.
23. Questions lead to growth. Always and all ways.
24. A few words + a question mark = the space of new possibilities.
25. What path always leads to your centre?
26. If you’re alive, you’re on the path.
27. Take your soul for a stroll. Only you know what that looks like.
28. Sometimes it’s hard to choose, but there is always a choice.
29. Walk out of your head and into your heart.
30. When your soul stirs, take note.
31. Quiet eyes are sometimes necessary.
32. You are a force to be reckoned with. Unleash.
33. “It’s rigged – everything in your favour. So there is nothing to worry about.” – Rumi
34. Face your dreams and release. your. muse.
35. Sometimes you can’t see where you’re headed even though the path is clear.
36. You know more than you think.
37. “I have fallen in love with someone who is hiding inside of you.” – Hafiz
38. Stoke your internal fire.
39. Thoughts come and go; you’re the one that gives them weight and meaning.
40. Now’s the time. Wake up.
41. Stop trying to survive your life; surrender.
42. Shift your view from what’s wrong to what worked.
43. Your longings are there to seduce you. Let that be ok.
44. Stop looking back. Review is good; obsession is bad.
45. You’re on the right track, even when you’re not.
46. Anchor what feels good. Let go of the rest.
47. Puja is good for the soul.
48. Be still.
49. Visit your Self more often.
50. “It is not possible to complete yourself without sorrow.” – Hafiz
51. Your restlessness has a message. Listen carefully.
52. Stillness and breath are almost always the best solution.
53. What is yours to give freely? Stop waiting for the right time. Give it now.
54. Holding back serves no one.
55. “It’s the still small voice that the soul needs; not the deafening blasts of doom.” – William D. Howells
56. As long as one foot is rooted in the past, the future can not manifest your desires.
58. What is it time to acknowledge?
59. Own your feelings. Empower your truth.
60. Make space for what is yet to be determined.
61. Let go of what no longer serves you.
62. Being responsible for what you want is the way forward.
63. Your life is lived in small moments.
64. Silence is a well you should fall into.
65. Ritual is routine combined with mindfulness.
66. Let people take up space in your heart. It is an ever-expanding organ.
67. What you want to be known for is more important than you think.
68. Your life purpose is what you say it is. No more, no less.
69. Some things are more worth your effort than others. Choose wisely.
70. Act as if you’re already connected. Truth is you are.
71. Making things happen is overrated.
72. A ‘hell yes’ is worth whatever it takes to get there.
73. Do more of what makes you feel good.
74. Creating intimate space is a gift.
75. The back of your mind needs a good cleaning now and then.
76. Walking the talk is more satisfying than you can ever imagine.
77. Trust your gut. It knows.
78. What makes you feel good doesn’t have to work for others.
79. It doesn’t matter what you create. What matters is that you create.
80. Fuck comparisonitis.
81. There’s no book for living a remarkable life.
82. One-size-fits-all is a myth.
83. Take off your armour. You don’t need as much protection as you think.
84. The only way out is through.
85. Ruthless compassion is essential.
86. Being inspired isn’t enough.
87. Your superpowers impress others way more than they impress you.
88. You are more amazing than your inner critic ever lets on.
89. What question does your life answer?
90. Sometimes feeling a bit better is all you need. Stop chasing transformation.
91. It’s all in the view.
92. Love all; cherish the ones that get through.
93. There is no rush.
94. Face the ending and a new beginning appears.
95. Begin each day with ‘how can today be awesome?‘
96. Your way is only one of many ways. Loosen your grip.
97. Your imaginal cells are always transforming.
98. Letting go of the hustle is scary; also freeing.
99. Do more of what feeds your soul.
100. Resolve is more than ‘this shall be.’ Resolve is ‘this IS.’
101. “Rest in natural great peace, this exhausted mind.” – Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
102. Create an environment that supports what you’re up to.
103. Your word is more than just words.
104. Let self-doubt fall away and be your own Sherpa.
105. Notice your hardwiring.
106. What you practice, you become. “Everything is practice.” – Pele
107. Ask for what you need. You are surrounded by support.
108. Beloved = Be Loved
Over to you:
What moments will you remember from 2012?