“What one can be, one must be.” – Abraham Maslow
Imagine your life growing from a seed; one seed uniquely, divinely you, growing roots as an expression of you.
In a world driven by goals and results, it’s much too easy to forget that what there is to do is BE yourself.
What if that is your life’s purpose? Wouldn’t it be a relief to stop trying so hard?
What you can be, you must be. You cannot change your roots.
An acorn must become an oak tree, and you must become you.
When you resist, you kick the door open to suffering.
What if the only resolution you ever need to make ever in life is this. . .
“I resolve to become more fully myself.”
Say it out loud.
Write it on your bathroom mirror.
Your roots, like the roots of any tree, need care and nourishment to grow and bear fruit, and now is the best time to begin.
How can you deepen, and become more fully yourself?
I began with Maslow’s quote, so let me continue with a few more of his wise words.
1. ”A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.”
What must you do? You know that thing, deep in your heart that is dying to be expressed. . .let it out.
This is your work, and until you get clear, everything else is distraction.
2. ”All the evidence that we have indicates that it is reasonable to assume in practically every human being, and certainly in almost every newborn baby, that there is an active will toward health, an impulse towards growth, or towards the actualization.”
Are you using your active will toward health, growth and well-being? Or is it being squandered while you wait for the elusive someday?
Tell the truth and take a new action. Someday ain’t never happening.
3. “Growth must be chosen again and again; fear must be overcome again and again.”
Maybe you chose, some time in the past. That was then, this is now.
The key is choosing again and again. Fear will continue to raise its head and unless you continue to choose, it will stop you.
4. “The sacred is in the ordinary… To be looking elsewhere for miracles is a sure sign of ignorance that everything is miraculous.”
Everything is miraculous.
What you want and how you express it? Miraculous when you share it with others. Stingy and sad when you keep it to yourself.
5. “If I were dropped out of a plane into the ocean and told the nearest land was a thousand miles away, I’d still swim.”
Against all odds, what would you do no matter what? That’s what there is to do now.
6. ”No great deed, private or public, has ever been undertaken in a bliss of certainty.”
Waiting for certainty is like waiting for someday. Stop waiting.
You just have to take one action. Now.
7. ”Capacities clamor to be used, and cease in their clamor only when they are used sufficiently.”
Stop focusing on your weaknesses. Your capacities, your strengths are there to be used. Stop ignoring them.
8. ”We are not in a position in which we have nothing to work with. We already have capacities, talents, direction, missions, callings.”
Said another way, you already have everything you need.
You don’t need another training, certification, more letters behind your name.
Stop spending your time and money on things that will make no difference.
9. ”You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.”
Back into safety and hanging out with your lizard brain.
Safe, boring and soul-sucking. Don’t go there.
10. “If you plan on being anything less than you are capable of being, you will probably be unhappy all the days of your life.”
Notice where you’re trying hard and producing crappy results. Stop. This is your cue that you’re not taking care of your needs.
Put your effort on that which will feel good. Forget the rest.
11. “We fear to know the fearsome and unsavory aspects of ourselves, but we fear even more to know the godlike in ourselves”
That dark side you try so hard to keep hidden? Claim it.
Only then will you begin to shine.
And make no mistake, that IS what you’re here for.
Over to you:
How will you deepen, and become more fully yourself today?